Updated: Nov 20, 2020
We learnt some valuable info about recycling at the recycling centre in Seaview. This centre is operated by a company called Oji and it processes ALL curbside recycling for Wellington, Lower Hutt, Upper Hutt councils.
Here's the lowdown!
- currently we can only recycle triangle numbers 1, 2 & 5
- remove all lids (they don’t get recycled and if attached its likely the whole container WON’T get recycled)
- rinse everything (anything contaminated with food/milk etc WON’T get recycled)
CARDBOARD & PAPER
- only large items are recycled (not small bits)
- pizza boxes are fine with an oil mark but any food scraps need to be removed
- rinse & remove lids
- these are 100% recyclable and valuable so be sure to recycle ALL of them.
- place lids inside the can/tin and give a light squeeze so they don’t drop out and lids will be recycled too
- Please recycle everything above (65% of material taken to landfill is actually recyclable)
- Please home compost everything that was once alive
- Dont squash bottles/cans so flat that they can be confused for paper. The recycling plant sorts 2D items assuming they are paper, so any super flat bottles/cans WON’T get recycled.
- Yogurt pottles (6 packs) are actually polystyrene and can never be broken down or recycled
- Use the 6 Rs: Refuse, Reduce, Repurpose, Reuse, Recycle, Rot
Sometimes the demand for recycled goods changes - it’s all based on what Oji’s buyers are recycling - so keep up to date with the council.
Upper Hutt - https://www.lowcostbins.co.nz/services/residential-recycling-upper-hutt/ or WasteManagement